ABOUT THIS BOOK:
This book is an academic research and critical analysis of the famed contemporary tafsir; Tafsir al-Tahrir wa'l Tanwir by Muhammad al-Tahir Ibn 'Ashur. This thesis aims to tackle the following topics;
* Biographical study of Ibn 'Ashur himself.
* Tafsir in the 19th century,
* The influence of Maghrib Tafsir collage on Ibn Ashur,
* General study and overview of the Tafsir,
* Bibliographical study of Ibn 'Ashur Tafsir,
* General Method employed by Ibn 'Ashur in his Tafsir,
* Points of Quranic sciences in this Tajsir,
* Points of linguistic and rhetoric in this Tajsir,
* Points of theology in this Tajsir,
* Ibn Ashur method of interpreting the Verses of Ahkam,
* The Israeli transmissions and Ibn Ashur use for it in his Tafsir,
* The pro and con points of this Tafsir.
ABOUT MUHAMMAD AL-TAHIR IBN 'ASHUR:
He is Muhammad al-Tahir ibn ‘Ashur (1879 -1973~) was an eminent figure in the institution of the Tunisian scholars for most of the twentieth century. He is also highly regarded as a Muslim reformist and his Qur’anic tafsir al-Tahrir wa’l-tanwir, is among the influential tafsirs produced in the modern era.
Since he lived during the colonial period, as well as the early period of Tunisian independence, Ibn ‘Ashur’s intellectual output reflects different forces and stands witness to the dilemma experienced by the ‘ulama’ in a time of unprecedented change.
Influenced by Muhammad ‘Abduh, and responding to modern challenges to Islamic traditions, Ibn ‘Ashur called for substantive reforms in Islamic education. His work on the ultimate purposes of the Shari‘a represents not only an attempt to revive the maqasid theory of Shatibi, but also a significant addition to modern efforts to renew Islamic legal theory. Ibn ‘Ashur, however, seems to have become disappointed with the independent state’s drive for modernisation and radical secularisation.
Some of his works are;
--- Tafsir al-Tahrir wa'l Tanwir,
--- taqarir 'ala Sharh al-Ashmuni 'ala al-Khulasah,
--- Taqarir 'ala Sahih al-Bukhari,
--- Diwan Khutub,
--- Diwan Shi'ir,
--- Sharh 'ala Alfiyyat Ibn 'Asim fi'l Usul,
He passed away on a Sunday 26 Rajab 1393/12th of April 1973 at the age of 93 years.