ABOUT THE BOOK:
Imam Ibn Abi Shayba claimed or held that Imam Abu Hanifa contradicted Sahih ahadith of the prophet in about 125 main branched of fiqh and others. In this volume Imam Zahid al-Kawthari goes on the defense in deducing proofs and opinions of scholars of the salaf on these issues. This charge against Abu Hanifah by Ibn Abi Shaybah can be found in one of the longest chapters of his Musannaf "Book of the Refutation of Abu Hanifa" in which he proceeded to list about one hundred and twenty five "Prophetic hadiths which Abu Hanifa contradicted."
Also Shaykh Muhammad Awwamah has an excellent editorial print of the Musannaf which is perhaps the best work out there. For further analyses and or different angle to the debate please consult the Dar al-Minhaj / Dar al-Yusr print.
ادعى ابن أبي شيبة مخالفة أبي حنيفة لأحاديث صحيحة في مئة وخمس وعشرين مسألة من أمهات المسائل فقام هذا الكتاب بتمحيص أدلة الطرفين وكشف عن كثير من الحقائق في اختلاف مدارك الفقهاء وأطوار الفقه الإسلامي مما له خطره عند الباحثين
ABOUT THIS PRINT:
This print contains older print but it is re-edited with maximum effort in rendering an accurate version. It has well over sixty introductory pages about the nature of the issue, Kawthari's methods in hadith transmissions/authentication. Also there is a critical study of Ibn Abi Shaybah as well as Imam Abu Hanifa methods of hadith reliance.
ABOUT IMAM M. ZAHID AL-KAWTHARI:
He is Muhammad Zahid ibn Hasan al-Kawthari al-Hanafi al-Ash`ari (1296-1371), the adjunct to the last Shaykh al-Islam of the Ottoman Caliphate and a major Hanafi jurist praised by Imam Muhammad Abu Zahra as a Reviver (mujaddid) of the fourteenth Islamic century. He studied under his father as well as the scholar of Qur'an and hadith Ibrahim Haqqi (d. 1345), Shaykh Zayn al-`Abidin al-Alsuni (d. 1336), Shaykh Muhammad Khalis al-Shirwani, al-Hasan al-Aztuwa'i, and others. When the Caliphate fell he moved to Cairo, then Sham, then Cairo again until his death, where the late Shaykhs `Abd al-Fattah Abu Ghudda and `Abd Allah al-Ghumari became his students. Following is his prestigious chain of transmission in fiqh:
Imam al-Kawthari (d. 1371) took fiqh from his father, and also from the hadith master Ibrahim Haqqi (d. 1345) and from Shaykh Zayn al-'Abidin al-Alsuni (d. 1336). Al-Kawthari's father took fiqh from the hadith master Ahmad Dya' al-Din al-Kamushkhanawi al-Naqshbandi (d. 1311) the author of the hadith index Ramuz al-Ahadith. who took fiqh from Sayyid Ahmad al-Arwadi (d. 1275) who took fiqh from the hadith master Muhammad Amin, Ibn `Abidin (d. 1252), whose chain is given elsewhere.
Imam al-Kawthari produced numerous works, in the way of his own books, as well as annotations of classical works. Among them are:
- Al-Juwayni's "Al-`Aqidah al-Nizamiyah"
- Al-Bayhaqi's "Al-Asmaa' wa al-Sifat"
- Al-Baghdadi's "Al-Farq bayn al-Firaq"
- Ibn al-Jawzi's "Daf` Shubah al-Tashbeeh"
- Ibn Qutaybah's "Al-Ikhtiliaf fi al-Lafz wa al-Radd `ala al-Jahmiyyah
- al-Baqillani's, "Al-Insaf fi-ma Yajib I`tiqaaduh"
- Nazrah `Aabirah fee Mazaa`im Man Yunkiru Nuzool `Isa Qabla al-Akhirah
( a profound scholarly refutation of heretic beliefs which denied Jesus' second coming)
- Qawaid `Aqaa'id al-Batiniyah
- Kashf Asraar al-Baatiniyah wa Akhbaar al-Qaraamitah
- al-Tabseer fi al-Din wa Tamyeez al-Firqah al-Najiyah
- al-Tanbeeh wa al-Radd `alaa Ahl al-Ahwaa' wa al-Bida`
In Hadith and its sciences:
- Al-Qaysarani's, "Shuroot al-A'immah al-Sittah" and al-Hazimi's
"Shuroot al-A'immah al-Khamsah"
- al-Qasim ibn Qutlubgha's, "Bughyat al-Alma`i fi-ma Faata min Takhreej
Ahadith al-Hidayah lil-Zaylai"
- Imam al-Shafi`is "Ahkaam al-Qur'an"
- Fiqh Ahl al-`Iraq wa-Hadeethuhum
- Al-Ishfaq `alaa Ahkaam al-Talaaq
- Ibn Hazm's "Maratib al-Ijma`"
In History and Biographies:
- Kitab Baghdad
- Bulugh al-Amaanee fee Seerat al-Imam Muhammad ibn al-Hasan
- Al-Hawi fee Seerat al-Imam Abi Ja`far al-Tahawi
- Husn al-Taqadi fee Seerat al-Imam Abi Yusuf al-Qadi
- Al-Imta` bi Seerat al-Imaamayn al-Hasan ibn Ziyad wa Saahibihi
Muhammad ibn Shuja`
- Lamahat al-Nazar fee Seerat al-Imam Zufar
- Al-Dhahabi's "Manaqib al-Imam Abi Haneefah wa Saahibayhi Abi Yusuf wa
- Maqaalaat al-Kawthari
- Tahreer al-Wajeez fima Yabtagheehi al-Mustajiz
He passed on to his Lord, patient, thankful and praiseful, as the sincere and righteous pass on. May Allah be pleased with him and make him pleased.