ABOUT TH BOOK:
Originally written by Imam Jurdani as a small guide for the beginning students, he then later found the necessity to expand on it and comment on it. As a scholar of fiqh, Hadith and Usul, he is indeed one of the later day Imams of the Madhab. This current print enjoys the editorial edition of Shaykh Muhammad al-Hajjar, who is by hiw own right an Imam in the Madhab. He has expertly edited the notes, Ahadith, and the referenced works. He further added his own notes on places and issues that needed clarification.
ABOUT IMAM AL-JURDANI:
He is Muhammad b. Abd Allah b. Abd al-Latif al-Jurdani, the Shafi'i jurist of his day, from Dimyat in Egypt. He was born, raised and died therein. He was an expert in the Shafi'i Madhab and was popular for his keen mind in jurisprudence. This is seen from reading his magnificent work of Fathul 'Allam Sharh Murshid al-Anam. He has also another popular text commentating the Arba'in of Imam Nawawi, see below for a list of his works. He was one of the main students of Imam Ibrahim al-Bajuri, the later day Imam of the Shafi'iyyah. Imam al-Jurdani managed to write and complete several works among which are:
- Ithaf al-Anam bi Dhikri Fadaha'il Ramadhan wal Ahkam al-Siyam,
- Ithaf al-Nasik Bayanil Manasik,
- al-Ajwibat al-Jaliyyat 'an al-As'ilat al-Shar'iyyat fi Madhab al-Saadat al-Shafi'iyyah,
- al-Jawahir al-Lu'liyyah fi Sharh al-Arba'in al-Nawawiyah,
- Murshid al-Anam ila ma Yajib Ma'rifatihi min al-'Aqa'id wal Ahkam,
- Fathul 'Allam Sharh Murshid al-Anam (larger commentary on his own book),
- Mufid al-'Awam Sharh Murshid al-Anam (smaller commentary on the above work),
- Nayl al-Maram min Ahadith Khayr al-Anam,
- Misbah al-Dhulam wa Bahjatil Anam li Sharh Nayl al-Maram,
He has passed away in 1331, May Allah forgive him and grant him paradise.
ABOUT SHAYKH AL-HAJJAR:
HIS NAME & BIRTH:
Muhammad Mohamud al-Hajjar. He was ij Aleppo, Damascus, Syria in 1920 to two loving parents who were righteous and loved the company of the Scholars.
HIS STUDIES & TEACHERS:
He initially kept the company of Shaykh Abi al-Nasr Khalaf Ibn al-Shaykh Salim Khalaf, who was a pious scholar. As al-Hajjar was an immense lover of knowledge and scholars he made sure he attended the sittings and accompanied the scholars. He also kept the company and studied with Shaykh and Hadith Master of Sham; Shaykh Abd Allah Sirajudin. He also made sure he was always present in the Dhikr circles of ash-Shayk 'Isa al-Baynuri, who was known for his regular sittings in praise of the prophet SAW. He has also studied wit the following as well; Shaykh Sa'id al-Idlibi, Shaykh Ibrahim al-Salqini, Shaykh Ahmed ash-Shima', Shaykh Jamil al-'Uqad, Shaykh Raghib ad-Duwayri, Shaykh Ibrahim al-Ghalayini and many others.
Amongst those who spent some time with him were Shaykh and Dr 'Abd al-Sattar Abu Ghuddah, Shaykh Hamid Gharib, Shaykh and Dr Zuhayr Nasir. Shaykh al-Hajjar had always been in between his house, which was next door to the Masjid and the Masjid. He never left except for necessity. People from all corner of the globe visited him constantly and took their need and wuold then move on.
AMONG HIS WRITTEN WORKS:
- al-Hubb al-Khalid; Samir al-Mu'min.
- al-Nasiha al-Mawjizat; al-Suhwah al-Qariyyah,
- al-Islam wa Arkanahu al-Arba'ah,
- 'Alimini Ya Ummi Kayfa Ahaju,
- Tahqiq al-Tibyan fi Adab Hamalatil Qur'an lil Nawawi,
- Tahqiq al-Fatawa lil Imam al-Nawawi,
- Tahqiq al-Maqasid lil Imam al-Nawawi,
- Tahqiq Bustan al-'Arifin lil Imam Nawawi,
- Tahqiq Bidayatil Hidayah lil Imam Ghazzali,
- Tahqiq Fathul al-'Allam lil Jurdani,
He passed away on a Wednesday, evening of Thursday which was 6th of Muharram 1428. As was his custom, one he prayed 'Isha in the Prophets Masjid, and he went to his usual place of seating, and he finally reviewed his editorial work on Imam Nawawi's collection of Fatawa. He slept after that in his room was found dead holding next to him his miswak. He was prayed over after Duhur in the Prophets Masjid and was buried close to the companions in Baqi'.